Not Your Grandmother's Accent Wall
I’m often asked if accent walls are passe. But the term accent wall has simply evolved into so much more than just a contrasting color! An accent wall is any wall that differs from the design of the other walls in the room. So it can be a different color, material, pattern or texture. It’s such a versatile design technique that accent walls can go anywhere in your home, from an entrance way, bathroom, living room or bedroom.
Here are my top 5 reasons for considering adding one to your room design.
- Adding an accent wall can create a focal point in any room. Consider a different color to a bedroom wall behind your headboard. This will anchor the furniture to the room.
- Bold or darker colors may overwhelm a space or even make it feel small. By painting just one or two walls you can add color without visually effecting the shape and space of the room.
- Wallpaper patterns are great, but can easily get busy and distract from your overall design. One wall of a strong pattern may be just enough! Ceilings are a great area to use this technique!
- Creating an accent wall is an inexpensive way to mix up your decor without investing a ton of money. Even if you love a tile or fabric that’s a little pricey, by limiting the area you use it you can really stretch your design dollars!
- Accent walls are quick and easy! If you’re picking a color or texture it can be an afternoon job with simple supplies. AND it’s easy enough that if you grow tired of it over time it’s something that can easily be changed.
Here are just a few accent wall techniques:
- Interior Wall Paint
- Decorative Wall Techniques – Large Stripes are awesome!
- Wallpaper (textured, florals, geometric designs, etc)
- Wood Planks
- Chalk Board or Whiteboard Paint
- Tile or Cultured Stone
Creating an accent wall is a great way to let your personality shine through OR even help you take that first step out of your proverbial box! Just have fun!