8 Tips for Designing a Small Bathroom
Don’t give up on that tiny bathroom! It has more potential than you can imagine. Here are some great ideas to save space and make that small space pop with flair and originality.
- Wall-mounted fixtures: Vanities and toilets mounted on the walls give the illusion of a larger room because they don't visually take up floor space! Corner sinks offer a classic style and are making a comeback - especially when they improve traffic flow!
- Shower/tub combos: Shower-tub combos actually can fit into small spaces. Most bathtubs are 60"x 30", but I've actually installed a 48" model in a tiny bath I designed. If you need to go small, then at least try to go deep! Also, a shower curtain that moves back and forth saves space over a glass door, especially on a curved rod!
- Curved Vanity: Tight spaces can make sharp corners hip hazards. If the corners of a vanity would get in the way, opt for a rounded style. Yes, a rounded vanity can work in a square space. No more bruised hips!
- Medicine Chests: These bathroom staples are still functional, especially when recessed and frameless.
- Lighting: A well-lit room will always appear larger! Add a textured wallpaper and then light it with wall-grazing recessed cans for a dramatic effect.
- Creative storage: Investigate areas to steal space for storage. This can be in the form of niches between wall studs, re-purposing items like magazine racks for rolled towel storage, or simple floating shelving.
- Towel Bar: Where can I put my towels? I wish I had a nickel for every time I heard that question. When space is at a minimum, mounting a towel bar on both sides of a swinging shower door keeps towels handy. You might need to store the bulk of your towels in a nearby linen closet, but having that one towel close by to dry off with is essential. Towel rings hung right by the sink are always functional.
- Pocket-doors: Yes, the hardware has improved on these classic space-savers! Not having to account for the space needed to swing a door into a small space - Priceless!